Help Please! Deciding on the band...

monny2400
on 1/20/11 1:15 am - Hammond, LA
Hello all,
For the past few years I have been contemplating having the lap-band surgery done. I've been all over the Internet researching and I think that it is the safest of the choices. I would like to know how everyone feels about their decision to have the lap-band and if they could would they have made the same choice or decided to go another route? Any stories good or bad would be helpful. Thanks
Hermosa L
on 1/20/11 1:26 am

on the right hand there is a search menu and if you search lapband vs whatever ... you will see a billizon posts ... they occur every couple of days.

Good Luck :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/11 1:29 am - Miramar Beach, FL
Hi there!  Very wise to investigate before making a decision about weight loss surgery.

The band worked for me, I've lost almost all of my excess weight within a year, and have maintained within an acceptable range (for me) for the past 3 years.  I've had no (real) problems with the band.  I am a band advocate for myself, for those who already have it, and for those who have done their research, and based on their own needs (and what insurance will pay for) have chosen to get the band.

Would I make the same choice if I knew then what I know now?  I don't know.  The sleeve wasn't on my radar at the time, so my choices were between RNY & the band, and I do believe I made the best decision for me at the time.  If I were having weight loss surgery today, I would investigate the sleeve, and even the newer sleeve plication, which is only done in a few places right now.  

Tami
monny2400
on 1/20/11 4:45 am - Hammond, LA
Thanks Tami,

The RNY was completly out of the question for me personally, but I was also considering the sleeve. I'm definately going to research that procedure as well.  
craazy4luv
on 1/20/11 1:30 am - Reno, NV
Love, love, love, love, love, love mine.  Yes I would do it again in heart beat.  I have had no complications, my band does what its supposed to do.  I do know that is not the case with everyone, do your research and choose what you are comfortable with.  Good luck!

monny2400
on 1/20/11 4:47 am - Hammond, LA
THANKS!!
MaMa_M
on 1/20/11 1:32 am - MI

I too researched for over a year before deciding on the Realize Band. I know 3 people who have had RNY, one had a disasterous outcome and is still suffering 8 years later. The second has done well and the third didn't lose her weight. So that ruled out RNY for me right off the bat.

I have had my band for over year, I have lost over 85 lbs, am off blood pressure meds, am no longer pre-diabetic and can walk up and down the stairs, mow the lawn, snow plow and many ohter things I couldn't do before.

I had this surgery to get HEALTHY and that is what is happening for me. Remember that no one surgery is right for everyone. I was a volume eatter so the band works for me. I get a fill about every 3 months, have never had reflux, PB, or other issues. I feel great! Best of luck in your journey where ever it leads you.

MaMa M

monny2400
on 1/20/11 4:53 am - Hammond, LA
Thanks for sharing your experience,

I'm dealing with sleep apnea and other obesity related issues. Over the past year I have saved so that I could pay for the surgery ( insurance refuses to cover). I just want to be sure I'm making the right decision by researching and talking to others who have at one time or another made the choice I am about to make. Thanks again for the post!
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/11 1:51 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
Hello..

Going on 6 years post op with my band, I am still overall very happy with my band, it gave me my health back, I had a small pouch dilation about 4 years ago, but since I've had no problem with my band. I am a strong advocate for health and safety and the band has lived up to that for ME. I never put losing weight at ANY COST or by any means necessary and the DS and RNY and Sleeve were the only options available to me at the time and the Lap Band was the safest, and allowed me to live a NORMAL life so I chose that.

Also I got the band because it is easily reversible in case something else great comes along, that's MORE EFFECTIVE AND SAFER and I can get it removed and revise if need be, and I strongly believe it HAS.

If I had to do it all over again TODAY, the Sleeve Plication would be my choice hands down for a restrictive surgery, you may want to research that, it's a brand new procedure and technology and seems to be the perfect solution to those that don't want slower loss and an implant  or risk possible band slippage or erosion and those that don't want the Sleeve which removes most of the stomach which carries risks of leak complications and other issues.

Based on the initial trials, it has the same fast weight loss as RNY and the Sleeve, but has almost ZERO complication risks, I think this surgery may be the way to go in the future.

I think the only downside now is that most insurance companies don't cover it - YET, but I hear that may change very quickly due to its safety and effectiveness.

http://www.inspire.com/HealthTraveler/journal/bariatric-time s-reports-on-latest-gastric-sleeve-plication-clinical-trial/

Good luck
monny2400
on 1/20/11 5:06 am - Hammond, LA
Wow the Plication sounds interesting. I am would be paying out of pocket for the band so insurance wouldn't be an issue. The Plication sounds interesting and I have never heard of it.
My main reason for looking into the band was because of the exact reasons you  mentioned above. Seeing you had yours for six years says alot. I was scared that after so long it would stop being effective or for some strange reason over time I would have to get it removed. I will be trying out that link ASAP!!
Most Active